THE NORBERTINE ORDER
The Norbertine order was founded by St. Norbert on the Christmas night 1121 at remontre in France, engaged in pastoral, educational and direct evangelization. The Norbertines arrived in India from the Abbey of Berne, Nederlands in 1923. The Priory at Jamtara-Jabalpur was started in 1962. The priests were the pioneer mis-sionaries in the Prefecture of Jabalpur and they concentrated on the mission work mainly in the Mandla District of Madhya Pradesh mainly among the Gonds and Baigas. Now the Norbertines are working in different dioceses of India. In 1984 Jamtara (Jabalpur) became an autonomous Canonry and is the headquarters of Indian Norbertines. On 7th October 2000, it was elevated to the status of St. Norbert Abbey. Fr. Bridhichand Nonwar O. Praem is the first Norbertine to offer service to Khandwa Diocese since 14th June 2012.